The IEEE Digital Reality Initiative was launched in early 2019, in support of Digital Transformation, as an overall IEEE Collaborative effort. Digital Transformation is fueled by advances in technology, such as sensors and actuators, artificial intelligence (AI), and machine learning (ML). By leveraging these technologies and others being developed, such as augmented reality (AR), virtual reality (VR), and Digital Twins, the line between the physical world and the digital world will be increasingly less distinct.
Applications are already quickly emerging in the fields of education, manufacturing, sharing services, and more. IEEE Digital Reality is working with multiple constituencies in academia, industry, and government, and we welcome your contribution and participation.
The Digital Reality Initiative is actively pursuing the following goals:
- IEEE to be recognized as the leader in facilitating disruptive technological innovations and fostering cross-industry collaborations globally and taking into account societal impact.
- Position IEEE at the center of Digital Transformation, fueled by advances in AR, VR, MR plus AI/ML.
- Investigate the impact of the massive growth of "intelligence at the edge” resulting from the embedding of intelligence and ML into devices, IoT, IIoT and from the cooperation of human and machine intelligence (including co-bots) that is likely to result in a revolution in infrastructures (6G) and in the creation of ambient intelligence (intelligent fabric).
- IEEE Digital Reality Exchange (DRX) will be widely recognized as a trusted repository of Digital Reality suppliers, researchers, practitioners, and project owners.
- Knowledge as a Service (KaaS) will become a key offering for IEEE that leverages knowledge as the enabler of the Digital Transformation.
- Lead a new research frontier, Intelligent Reality, with the launch of the first International Conference on Intelligent Reality (IR), icir.ieee.org.
- Support Societies, OUs on conferences, standards, education.
In partnership with IEEE Educational Activities, a series of courses on Digital Transformation are available from the IEEE Learning Network. The latest effort is to provide a series of courses on Real World Intelligent and Immersive Realities.
Through collaboration with the IEEE Standards Association (IEEE-SA), IEEE Digital Reality hopes to build and mature global standards related to digital reality, AR, VR, human augmentation, and related areas. Due to the wide range of technologies and applications encompassed by this initiative, we plan to take a comprehensive, holistic view of this emerging area as we shape the foundation of our research.
The IEEE Digital Reality Initiative is managed by a Steering Committee with activities carried out to enact the goals of the initiative. Members of this Technical Community gain access to extensive resources including publications, videos, articles, interviews, webinars, newsletters, workshops, and conferences as well as opportunities to participate in the growth and impact of the Initiative. The IEEE Digital Reality Initiative is a program of IEEE Future Directions, and a broad cross-section of IEEE Societies are active participants and stakeholders. Learn more about the scope of the initiative (PDF, 272 KB).
Please join our Technical Community to stay informed of our latest news, events, and activities.
IEEE Digital Reality thanks IEEE Future Directions Committee, IEEE New Initiatives Committee, and Technical Activities Board for their support.
IEEE Digital Reality Steering Committee
|Initiative Co-Chairs||Stephen Dukes|
|Derrick de Kerckhove|
|Program Managers||Kathy Grise, IEEE Future Directions, lead|
|Sin-Kuen Hawkins, IEEE Future Directions|
|Julie Bernicker, Lead Content Specialist|