The recent advancements in technology and the exponential increase in the use of interconnected devices have drawn a significant interest and influenced the development of complex computing systems. Working with the emerging digital technologies of Virtual (VR), Augmented (AR), Mixed Reality (MR), Digital Twins and with Robots has never been more exciting than today. Especially when these technologies are fused together in innovative ways to allow the development of a new amalgamated reality and provide opportunities that may radically change the way we interact with real and artificial agents, our surroundings and with each other.
This webinar presents a new type of Cyber-Physical-Social Eco-Society (CPSeS) system that implements the idea of ‘technological fusion’ by bringing together Mixed Realities, Robots and Social Networking to provide engaging and interactive new `realities’. This CPSeS goes beyond current virtual environments experiences by encompassing both physical and virtual spaces using cutting edge robotics technology for actuating, sensing, processing and guiding purposes, immersive technologies for visualisation, and integrating social inputs between users in the real and virtual worlds, creating a disruptive new paradigm that can contribute to the digital transformation of a wide range of domains.
3 June 2020, 10AM ET
- Register for the upcoming webinar: bit.ly/DRweb2-register
- Featured Speakers: Dr. Louis Nisiotis and Dr. Lyuba Alboul
- Dr. Louis Nisiotis is a Senior Lecturer at Sheffield Hallam University, engaging in multidisciplinary research at the University's Industry and Innovation Research Institute, specialising in Immersive Technologies, and their application in Cyber-Physical-Social Systems and in Education. His research interests include VR/AR/MR, Human-Computer Interaction, Cyber-Physical-Social-Systems, Digital Twins, Computer Supported Collaborative Work, Virtual Communities, Sociability, Presence and Immersion in Virtual Worlds. Currently leading research in innovation and application of Immersive Technologies and cutting-edge Robotics (together with Dr Alboul) to support the digital transformation of a plethora of domains. He is also leading research focusing on the use of Immersive Technologies and Virtual Environments to support and enhance education. He is a member of the IEEE Digital Reality steering committee, and a member of the Immersive Learning Research Network. He is also a Fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy, member of IEEE and ACM SIGCSE.
- Dr. Lyuba Alboul is a Senior Research Fellow at the Industry and Innovation Research Institute, and a lecturer at the Department of Engineering and Mathematics, Sheffield Hallam University. Lyuba has been conducting research on the interface of various scientific domains. She has been awarded over 15 research grants (both personal and as a member of consortia) from local and international funding bodies in Russia, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain and the UK. Among those are EPSRC, EU, MoD, STW/ NWO (Analogue of EPSRC in the Netherlands), and CNR (Analogue of EPSRC in Italy) on subjects in Mathematics, Computing, 3D modelling, Robotics and AI. Her current research interests involve the interplay of discrete and continuous representation of reality, perception and interaction with real and virtual worlds, by both humans and machines. Dr Alboul (together with Dr Nisiotis) is currently developing a new type of eco-systems that encompasses both physical and virtual environments, including real and artificial agents and elements, capable of interacting dynamically with, reflecting and influencing each other and with the interactions engendered by human behaviour.
The IEEE Digital Reality Webinar Series explores the latest innovations and challenges in the realm of digital realities. Hear from leading technologists about AR/VR/MR, human augmentation, immersive and related technologies, how they are affecting industries today, and how they will impact our future tomorrow. Check out our current webinars, and start learning now.
- Intelligent Systems (Graphic Processors for XR and AI), Riccardo Mariani Nvidia
- Systems of Immersive Visual Analytics, Kostic Zona
- Digital Twins, Roberto Saracco
- Epistemological and Societal Aspects, Derrick de Kerckhove
- Cognitive Digital Twins and KaaS, Fabrizio Granelli
- Digital Twins as Run-Time Predictive Models for Trustworthy Autonomy of Cyber-Physical Systems, Francesco Flammini, November 2020
- Digital Reality Initiative Exchange (DRX), Nick Napp
- Getting Closer to AGI, Stuart Dambrot
Pt. 1: Digital Reality - Roberto Saracco - Industry Panel 2, IEEE Globecom, 2019
Roberto Saracco, IEEE Future Directions, considers the ability to create a digital version of yourself in cyberspace and what the technological evolution will bring within the next ten years. Saracco envisions a unified and singular reality composed of both our cyber and physical realities.
IROS TV 2019- Pohang University of Science and Technology- Haptics and Virtual Reality Laboratory
Haptics and Virtual Reality Laboratory at POSTECH in Korea, directed by Prof. Seungmoon Choi, researchers study fundamental science, technologies, and applications related to haptics. Today, the group is focusing on developing good technologies that help people make haptic content more easily and quickly.
IEEE Technology Time Machine (TTM) 2018 hosted a special panel on Mixed Reality, featuring top thought leaders and specialists in the fields of MR/AR/VR and related technologies. Access videos of the panel below:
TTM 2018: Mixed Reality Panel - Part 1, featuring Raj Tiwari and Nicholas Napp
TTM 2018: Mixed Reality Panel - Part 2 featuring Jason Kenagy and Conor Russomanno
TTM 2018: Mixed Reality Panel - Q&A
TTM 2018: Distinguished Experts Panel - Raj Tiwari
Video interview with the leaders of the MxR lab at the USC Institute for Creative Technologies and the Tech and Narrative lab at Pardee RAND Graduate School
Several technologies are emerging that can help capture and map details of important historical sites and monuments. The 3D archival data can then be used in VR renderings to study these sites as they were in the years before their destruction, allowing learning and research to continue long after the structures are gone.
IEEE member Anderson Maciel at the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil) is working on computer-simulated surgery in virtual reality.
Advanced Broadcast Technology shows highlights of new technology in AR, VR, and MR at the 2018 Augmented World Expo. The episode features a short overview of the IEEE Digital Reality Initiative. The show also includes technology demonstrations from Animaker, Byond, Epson, Holosuit, Microsoft, NuHeara, Third Eye Gen, and Varjo. The 2018 AWE event was held in Santa Clara, CA.
In this panel session at the 9th Augmented World Expo (AWE USA 2018), 30 May - 1 June 2018 in Santa Clara, CA, USA, subject matter experts from a diverse range of areas commented on current and past "reality" implementations, experiences, implications to humans, and shared an outlook on the future. Topics were not limited to the technical aspects, but also the social, ethical, legal, and policy impacts as well.
IEEE has produced and released a mixed reality video, where the physical and digital blend together seamlessly and ubiquitously.
At Collision 2017, IEEE Entrepreneurship speaks to Jeff Nyquist, the CEO and Founder of NeuroTrainer. He explains his VR technology and how it can contribute to the strengthening of neuroplasticity. Rooted in proven neuroscience, Neurotrainer designs, develops and implements technology solutions that help individuals and organizations understand and unlock the limitless potential of the human brain.
Dr. Yu Yuan discusses the rapidly growing virtual reality and wearable markets. More and more brands are integrating these technologies and the results are truly impressive
Research teams at the Augmented Environments Lab at the Georgia Institute of Technology, are not only creating the browser and architecture for augmented reality but also exploring the many potential users for the new medium. Headed by Professor Blair MacIntyre, this technology provides applications for marketing, 3D interactive games, and virtual information that can all be access through a smart phone.
Social Robotics and Symbiotic Autonomous Systems with Roberto Saracco - A Seeking Delphi™ Episode
Seeking Delphi™ - April 2018
How we use robots, how we communicate and interact–and ultimately control them–is critical. IEEE, ever in the forefront of maintaining standard practices and ethical approaches to technology, is directly in the fray on this one, with its Initiative on Symbiotic Autonomous Systems. Roberto Saracco, a noted computer scientist and educator from Turin, Italy, leads this episode.
For more podcasts, visit the IEEE Digital Reality Podcast page.